making the earth greener one tiny baby at a time

Monday, July 26, 2010

Diaper Updates and More Great Links!


I had to fill you all in on the great cloth diaper strides we have made as of late! The big change is that Phoebe no longer wants her diaper changed every two seconds when she is in cloth. I don't know if she has just gotten used to it, or is a little bit older, but there is no difference right now in the number of changes I make with cloth and disposable diapers.

(Pictured: Phoebe in her Bumkins All-in-One diaper)

I thought the Snappi was great? I was crazy! I got some Bumkins diaper covers and they are BLOWING MY MIND! You just put the cloth into the cover and attach it like a regular paper diaper. Easiest thing ever. Reuse them until they get messy, then wash them with the diapers. I ordered some additional Bumkins that are coming today (there is a great package on sale at drugstore.com), but my friend Jenna uses "Thirsties" and loves them as well.

I also ordered "wet bag." This is to use in place of plastic bags. It is a leak-proof cloth bag to put all your dirties in, then just toss it in the wash.

I have been using the gDiaper cloth inserts. They are great because the don't have to be folded and are as soft as...well...a baby's bottom. I would like them to be a little more absorbent, but according to a review I read, after six washes they plump up and start doing much better.

The result is in the past twelve days we have only used TWO disposable diapers!! Once when I ran out of clean cloth, and once at a baby shower when I was desperate. And do you know what it costs me to use cloth diapers per week (after the initial purchase of the diapers)? $2.25. That is compared to the $23.00 I was spending per week on Seventh Generation or Earth's Best. By the way, Earth's Best never got back to me with the questions I asked them about their diapers and wipes.

Speaking of wipes, you can buy reusable cloth ones on amazon.com.

Feel free to write to me with any questions or thoughts so we can get all moms and dads on board with the cloth. According to my gDiapers packaging 500 million diapers a day are put into landfills. That's you depressing environmental fact!

Here are some more great links provided by friends and readers:


http://yourgreenhelper.blogspot.com/
http://greenmountaindiapers.com/
http://skindeep.com/
www.bargainbabe.com/2010/02/24/kid-and-baby-consignment-sales-directory

No comments:

Post a Comment